Independence of Kazakhstan
Тәуелсіздік — тұғырым
«Жаңа Ғасыр» № 175 гимназия
Ағылшын тілі пәні мұғалімі
Досқожаева Нұргүл Елшібекқызы
Ашық сабақтың тақырыбы:
« 2011 — the Year of Kazakhstan’s 20th Anniversary as an Independent State «
Type of the lesson: Generalization and systematize the knowledge and method of activity
Aims: 1) Educational aim:
— To form intercultural-communicative skills in the frame of the sphere and theme;
— To develop students’ reading, listening and speaking skills;
— To activate their background knowledge in order to help them predict likely vocabulary in a given authentic text;
— To improve students’ own ability to organize discourse.
2) Development aim:
— To develop students’ critical thinking skills: — identifying central issues
— expressing problems clearly
— understanding cause and effect
— predicting consequences
— To develop perception, logic, imagination, and creativeness.
— To be respectful to different cultures, to understand the meaning of different values of our country.
Objectives: To provide
— acquisition of the subject matter of professional communication on the basis of the studied speech material;
— met language skills;
— comprehension and adequate usage of the target language norms in free communication;
— ability and readiness to carry out discussion in the context of the theme;
— deepening of motivation and interest to the theme and to the future profession.
Materials: CD, Slide show, Presentation Microsoft Power Point, Quiz show, pictures, YOU TUBE Videos
Source: CD, dictionary, New Opportunities Intermediate (Macmillan), New Headway – Intermediate, Upper – Intermediate (Oxford), Mini – Dictionaries (Macmillan)
www.google.com – Chronicles of INDEPENDENT KAZAKHSTAN, YOU TUBE — KIWI
Procedure of the lesson
Lead-in (making a mind-map according to the theme, questions for brainstorming, studying the definitions).
Warm up – Today we are going to talk about Independence of Kazakhstan. This lesson is a game – competition lesson. I am going to divide you into 2 groups “Argimak and Tulpar”. After each task you’ll get by one “asik”, it is your “point”. Be very attentive, because the winners will get a prize.
Check up home task
Task 1. At home you had to learn some new words by the theme Independence and find out their translations in Kazakh. Revision of the lexical material
Let’s revise the words we have studied at the previous lesson. Look at the slides and find the words with Kazakh translations.
Something you want to achieve –
“ ambition” “ жетістік”
The fact of being brave
“ bravery” «батылдылық»
To grow or change into something, more successful, important bigger etc.
Something that is not easy to do –
To travel through an area to learn new information –
To succeeded in doing something or getting what you want –
“ мақсатына жету”
A group, business, etc. that does thing together
Something that is successful and has the result you wanted —
Describes a country decision, etc. that is not controlled by another –
That you can choose to do or not to do –
Allowed to exit or work without others controlling what it does
To make success or a special occasion by having a party or by having fun –
According to the belief or behavior in a place or of a group of people –
The system of official rules about how all of us must behave–
- Consolidation: (Lexical material )
- Now, let’s make word formation using these words. Look at the table and complete it, for example: if you take the word “ambition” – it is noun, let’s change it according to the table. There are 2 tables with key words. You will be given 5 minutes to complete the table.
Explorer/ — ation
Next task is a puzzle. Listen to me carefully. I will show the cards with Kazakh translation and you should find the key word using the 1 st and the 2 nd letter of the each word
fr e edom
Achieveme n t
p e ace
We are making the revision of our theme; you will be given some questions connected with the Independence of our country. Look at the questions and find the right answer .
About Kazakhstan’s independence Chronicles of INDEPENDENT KAZAKHSTAN
1. When was the law passed on the independence of Kazakhstan? a. the 30 th of August b. the 1 st of September c. the 16 th of December
The 16 th of December
2. When was the declaration adopted on Sovereignty Kazakhstan? a. the 31 st of January 1991 b. the 25 th of October 1990 c. the 5 th of October 1986
The 25 th of October 1990
3. When is the Ministry of Tourism established? A. the 12 th of August 1986 b. the 12 th of August 1991 c. the 12 th of August 1997
The 12 th of August 1991
4 . When was the Semipalatinsk Nuclear test site closed? A. 16 th of December 1991 b. 30 th of August 1990 c. the 29 th of August 1991
The 29 th of August 1991
5 . When was Nursultan Nazarbayev elected? a. The 16 th of December 1991 b. the 1 st of December 1991 c. the 30 th of December 1991
The 1 st of December 1991
6. When did Kazakhstan become a member of the OSCE? a. The 2nd of October 1995 b. the 2 nd of January 1992 c. the 4 th of January 1992
The 2 nd of January 1992
7. When did Kazakhstan become a member of the UN? A. The 3 rd of March 1992 b. The 3 rd of March 1998 c. The 3 rd of March 1998
The 3 rd of March 1992
8. When was the Laws on the national flag, national emblem and national anthem adopted? A. the 4 th of June 1992 b. the 16 th of June 1992 c. the 4 th of June 1995
The 4 th of June
9. What was established on the 18 th of September 1992? A. The first national TV and radio broadcasting company b. The first hospital c. The first school in Astana
The first national TV and Radio Broadcasting company
10. When was a new Constitution adopted? A. the 16 th of December 1991 b. the 30 th of August 1997 c. the 30 th August 1995
The 30 th of August
11. When did Astana become a capital of Kazakhstan? a. The 30 th of August 1995 b. the 15 th of September 1995 c. the 15 th of September 2001
The 15 th of September 1995
Let’s check your knowledge about geography and history, are you good at it? We will watch some extracts and you should find which country is it and when they celebrate their Independence.
The United States of
July 4, 1776
Washington is the
capital of the USA
Korea August 15,1945 Seoul — Capital of Korea
Brazil September 7, 1822
Argentina July 9, 1816 The capital of Argentina is Buenos Aires
- September 16, 1810 — Mexico
- Portugal — 1 st of December
- Сhina – 1 October, 1947
- Canada — the 1 st of July
- India – August 15, 1947
- Ireland – 24, 1916
- Russia — the 12 th of June
7 . Evaluation
Teacher’s concluding talk: Dear students and teachers! Our lesson has just finished. All the pupils worked hard and they showed their best knowledge. Thank you for coming and taking an active part in our open lesson. For today’s work everyone got an excellent mark. However, let’s count your “asik — points” So, who is winning? Thank you for everyone.
8 Home task: Writing. Write a composition about your Motherland
Назар аударғандарыңызға рахмет! Thank you for attention!
The right choice